Cornbury, (also known as Blandford Park), Charlbury, England
Record Id: 926
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Much of the present gardens and pleasure grounds date from the 19th century. The gardens occupy about 6 hectares within a wooded park covering about 260 hectares. The wider agricultural estate includes 2600 hectares of ancient woodland.
Brief history of site
The site at Cornbury originates in the medieval period. Its development began in the 17th century, when the park was landscaped (1661, partly by John Evelyn) and a physic garden created for Oxford University. The park also contains the earliest known example of a ha-ha. Further development continued through the 18th and 19th centuries.
Address: Cornbury Park, Charlbury, Oxfordshire, OX7 3EH
Oxfordshire; West Oxfordshire; Charlbury
Historical County: Oxfordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||164||Grid Ref:||SP350182|
West of the M40, junction 9 and 10.
nearest railway station - Charlbury.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: great house
Site Style : English landscape garden
Site first created: 1661
Main period of development: 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 260