Summary

This site is NOT open to public.

Loading...

Brief description of site

The original house and circular grassed area remain, now surrounded by school buildings, with Repton's terrace on the west also extant. Tennis courts and a sports hall were built on the kitchen garden although a portion of the wall survives.

Brief history of site

Highams mansion was built in 1764, the estate then purchased by John Harman in 1790, for whom Humphry Repton designed the landscape park in 1794, including a lake created by damming the River Ching, now within Epping Forest. In 1848 the estate was sold to Edward Warner who extended the house. From the 1890s land began to be sold off for building and the house was let in 1902. From 1904-14 it became home to the Bishop of St Albans, whose sister created a rose garden. It was a military hospital during WWI and in 1919 it was leased to Essex County Council and opened as Woodford County High School.

Location information:

Address: The High Road, Woodford, IG8 9LA

Locality: Greater London

Local Authorities:

Greater London; Waltham Forest

Historical County: Essex

OS Landranger Map Sheet Number: 177 Grid Ref: TQ398917
Latitude: 51.6068 Longitude: 0.0174005

Directions:

Tube: Woodford; South Woodford (Central) then bus. Bus: 20, 179, 275, W13

Key information:

Form of site: garden

Purpose of site: ornamental garden

Context or principal building: school

Site first created: After 1764

Main period of development: Late 18th century

Survival: Extant

Description

Owner: LB Waltham Forest

Site designation(s)

Conservation Area Reference Woodford Green

Green Belt

External web site link: http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=WAL050

External web site link: http://www.woodford.redbridge.sch.uk/page/default.asp?title=Home&pid=1

History

People associated with this site

Designer: Humphry Repton (born 21/04/1752 died 24/03/1818)

References

Organisations associated with this site

London Parks & Gardens Trust

Contributor or Recorder London Parks and Gardens Trust

Images

There are no images associated with this site