Woodford County High School for Girls, (also known as Highams), Greater London, England
Record Id: 9259
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
The original house and circular grassed area remain, now surrounded by school buildings, with Repton's terrace on the west also extant. Tennis courts and a sports hall were built on the kitchen garden although a portion of the wall survives.
Brief history of site
Highams mansion was built in 1764, the estate then purchased by John Harman in 1790, for whom Humphry Repton designed the landscape park in 1794, including a lake created by damming the River Ching, now within Epping Forest. In 1848 the estate was sold to Edward Warner who extended the house. From the 1890s land began to be sold off for building and the house was let in 1902. From 1904-14 it became home to the Bishop of St Albans, whose sister created a rose garden. It was a military hospital during WWI and in 1919 it was leased to Essex County Council and opened as Woodford County High School.
Address: The High Road, Woodford, IG8 9LA
Locality: Greater London
Greater London; Waltham Forest
Historical County: Essex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||177||Grid Ref:||TQ398917|
Tube: Woodford; South Woodford (Central) then bus. Bus: 20, 179, 275, W13
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: school
Site first created: After 1764
Main period of development: Late 18th century