Royal Liberty School, The, (also known as Hare Hall (Estate) and Goodwins), Greater London, England
Record Id: 9245
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Hare Hall with C19th additions survives surrounded by ancillary buildings and playing fields to the north, but the extent of the estate grounds is greatly diminished. The form of the serpentine lake remains, now almost dry and overgrown, together with vestiges of a raised terrace and fragment of the stone bridge, with fine trees between the house and lake, and around its banks.
Brief history of site
The Royal Liberty School, formerly Hare Hall, is on part of an old estate previously known as Goodwins. Hare Hall was built in 1768/69 for John Arnold Wallenger, who then began landscaping the grounds, possibly with advice from Richard Wood, its bridged lakes and winding shrubbery walks much favoured by him. It would seem that Humphry Repton later improved the gardens. In the C19th the estate was used for farming, then purchased for the railway, but later part was back in private hands. After WWI it was mostly developed for housing with a small part of the land and the Hall itself purchased by the Romford UDC in 1921 to house the new Royal Liberty School for Boys.
Address: Upper Brentwood Road, Gidea Park, Romford, RM2 6HJ
Locality: Greater London
Greater London; Havering
Historical County: Essex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||177||Grid Ref:||TQ531897|
Rail: Gidea Park. Bus: 496, , 674, 751, 752
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: school
Site first created: After 1768
Main period of development: Early 20th century