James Allen's Girls' School Botany Gardens, Greater London, England
Record Id: 9206
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Restoration of the Botany Gardens began in 1984 and works include a new pond near order beds with dipping platforms, coppicing and planting of exotic species in the woodland.
Brief history of site
James Allen's Girls' School originated as a small school founded in 1741 by James Allen, Master and Warden of Alleyn's College of God's Gift in Dulwich. The school moved to the current site in 1886, and in 1896 its Botany Gardens began to be planted, after the arrival of Dr Lilian Clarke as science teacher. Her pioneering approach included practical work in the school grounds with a series of ecological gardens created to enable the pupils to study plants in conjunction with insects and other animals in their habitats. By 1914 over 300 girls and part-time assistants were helping with the work and new garden areas and types of habitat were added. The gardens flourished until the outbreak of WWII but after the war they became neglected as the focus of the syllabus changed.
Address: East Dulwich Grove, SE22 8TE
Locality: Greater London
Greater London; Southwark
Historical County: Surrey
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||176/177||Grid Ref:||TQ331746|
Rail: North Dulwich, Herne Hill. Bus: 37, 12, 40, 176, 312, P4, P13
Opening contact details:
The site is mainly private, but visits can be arranged by appointment and there are occasional open days.
Form of site: botanic garden
Purpose of site: botanic garden
Context or principal building: school
Site first created: After 1896
Main period of development: Early 20th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 2