Haven House Children's Hospice and White House Arboretum, (also known as The White House), Greater London, England
Record Id: 9204
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
An arboretum was begun in 1953 when Lord Montgomery planted a walnut tree and a horse chestnut. A succession of eminent people who stayed at the White House planted trees over a period of 25 years. In the 1930s the Great Oak Garden was designed around a 500-year-old oak tree and the Rose Garden also dates from this time. The estate is now managed by LB Waltham Forest and the White House is Haven House Children's Hospice.
Brief history of site
The site was acquired from the Highams estate in 1905 and the villa was built to a design of CFA Voysey for Lady Henry Somerset the following year. Lt. Col. Sir Stuart Mallinson was the owner from 1925-81 during which time he expanded the estate and by 1933 it was 25 acres.
Address: High Road, Woodford Green, IG8 9LB
Locality: Greater London
Historical County: Essex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||177||Grid Ref:||TQ396916|
Tube: Woodford, South Woodford (Central) then bus. Bus: 20, 179, 275, W13
Opening contact details:
There is access to the arboretum by prior appointment or on occasional open days.
Form of site: arboretum
Purpose of site: arboretum
Context or principal building: hospice
Site first created: After 1905
Main period of development: Early 20th century