Copped Hall, Epping, England
Record Id: 920
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Copped Hall has the remains of mid-18th and late-19th-century gardens set within approximately 142 hectares of 16th- and 18th-century park and woodland.
Brief history of site
The park at Copped Hall was licensed in 1293. When Sir Thomas Heneage was granted the manor in 1564 by Queen Elizabeth the hall buildings were in a dilapidated condition and he rebuilt it on the same site incorporating part of the earlier building. John Conyers inherited the site in 1742. He was connected by marriage to Sir Roger Newdigate who in the mid-1740s drew detailed drawings of the old hall and provided ideas for garden improvement. Work in the grounds began in 1745 and building work on a new house, on a slightly different site from the old one, started in 1752 and was completed in 1758.
Address: Copped Hall, Crown Hill, Epping, Essex, CM16 5HH
Essex; Epping Forest; Epping Upland
Historical County: Essex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||167||Grid Ref:||TL433016|
Opening contact details:
Open on selected days only. Please seehttp://www.coppedhalltrust.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=11&Itemid=40
Form of site: country estate
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: After 1293
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Survival: Part: ground/below ground level remains
Site Size (Hectares): 142