Atkinson Morley Hospital Grounds, (also known as Prospect Place, Cottenham Park Estate, Atkinson Morley's Convalescent Hospital and Atkinson Morley's Centre for Neurosciences), Greater London, England
Record Id: 9179
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
The wooded grounds are on a sloping site, with an area of lawn levelled south of the hospital and the north-east woodland developed on an abandoned orchard and garden. Some trees from the former planting remain.
Brief history of site
Atkinson Morley Hospital was built near the former site of the C18th Prospect Place, which had gardens laid out by Humphry Repton in the late C18th/early C19th. Later known as Cottenham Park, the estate was sold for development in the early 1850s. Part of the site was acquired for the new hospital in 1863, which opened in 1869; the old house was pulled down and the hospital laundry built on its site.
Address: Cottenham Park Road/Copse Hill, SW20 0JP
Locality: Greater London
Greater London; Merton
Historical County: Surrey
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||176||Grid Ref:||TQ227702|
Rail: Wimbledon, Raynes Park then bus. Tube: Wimbledon (District) then bus. Bus: 200.
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 5.79