Compton Verney, (also known as Compton Mardak), Stratford-on-Avon, England
Record Id: 907
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The site at Compton Verney has medieval origins. The present house was developed by Robert Adam in the 1760s from an early-18th-century house, and at the same time the park was landscaped by Lancelot Brown. After decades of neglect, it is in the process of being restored following its purchase by the Peter Moores Foundation in the 1990s.
Brief history of site
Sir Richard Verney built a substantial courtyard house in 1442-3. Additions were made to the house in the late-16th century. In around 1714, the estate was inherited by the Dean of Windsor, who began an ambitious remodelling of the house. At the same time an extensive formal landscape was created, recorded on a plan of 1736. Plans for the extension of the house were commissioned from Robert Adam, and in 1768 Lancelot Brown prepared plans for the surrounding landscape.
Address: Compton Verney, Warwickshire, CV35 9HZ
Warwickshire; Stratford-on-Avon; Compton Verney
Historical County: Warwickshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||151||Grid Ref:||SP311528|
7 miles east of Stratford-on-Avon on the B4086, 6 miles from M40 junction 12. Please see:
Opening contact details:
Open mid-March to mid-December, Tuesday to Sunday 11am to 5pm.http://www.comptonverney.org.uk/plan_your_visit/opening.aspx
Parking Shop Refreshments WCs. Please see:
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: great house
Site Style : English landscape garden
Site first created: After 1442
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 210