Compton Place, Eastbourne, England
Record Id: 906
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Compton Place has a 19th-century formal garden featuring wooded grounds and circular lawn. There are also surviving 18th-century elements. The site occupies about 10 hectares.
Brief history of site
The manor known as Eastbourne Place was acquired by James Burton in 1544. He changed its name to Bourne Place and was the likely builder of the Elizabethan house which became incorporated into the present mansion. Lancelot Brown was paid in 1766 for work on the site. Humphry Repton produced a red book for the site in 1803, but his proposals were not implemented.
Address: Compton Place, Eastbourne, East Sussex, BN21 1EH
East Sussex; Eastbourne
Historical County: Sussex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||199||Grid Ref:||TV602985|
On the west side of Eastbourne Old Town
Form of site: formal garden
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: education
Site first created: After 1544
Main period of development: 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 9.9