Combe Abbey, (also known as Coombe Country Park), Coventry, England
Record Id: 894
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Combe Abbey lies within a 20th-century country park covering about 200 hectares. The site incorporates 17th, 18th and 19th-century park and garden features around 12th-century monastic and later buildings. The park was landscaped in 1771 by Lancelot Brown. Between 1861 and 1865 the gardens were re-designed by William Andrew Nesfield (the west side) and William Miller, the head gardener, who was responsible for the east gardens including the walled kitchen garden, now no longer extant. The house is now a hotel.
Brief history of site
The Cistercian monastery of Combe was founded by Richard de Camville in 1150. After the Dissolution in 1539, the site was granted to Mary, Duchess of Somerset and Richmond. From 1581, John Harington converted the former monastic buildings into one of the most substantial houses in the county. In 1771-7 the sixth Lord Craven commissioned Lancelot Brown to landscape the 17th-century park surrounding Combe Abbey, and a series of landscape structures including lodges, kennels and a menagerie were built to designs either by Brown or Henry Holland.
Address: Combe Abbey, Brinklow Road, Binley, Coventry, Warwickshire, CV3 2AB
Warwickshire; Rugby; Combe Fields
Historical County: Warwickshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||140||Grid Ref:||SP403 797|
5 miles east of Coventry, off the B4027 south of the M6.
Opening contact details:
Country park open daily, 7.30 to dusk.
Parking (small charge), visitor centre, restaurant, shop,WCs.
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: country park
Context or principal building: hotel
Site Style : English landscape garden
Site first created: After 1150
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 270