Colston's School, (also known as Stapleton House), Bristol, England
Record Id: 893
Originally a house called Wyld House or North Wege stood on the site. The present house was built in the early-18th century. It is likely that the icehouse is also of 18th century origin.
As ‘Stapleton House' it was a private residence for about one hundred years. In 1840 it became a residence for the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The buildings were altered and extended over the next few years by Decimus Burton. In 1861, it became Colston's School and further building work was undertaken.
1861: In 1861, the site became Colston's School.
The garden is separated from the rest of the parkland by a ha-ha. The ha-ha runs along in front of an area which was once an orchard, but now contains only a handful of trees.
Feature created: 1700 to 1799
The icehouse is fairly typical of such structures. It is a semi-underground room with a domed brick-lined interior. There is quite a deep drop from the doorway. The actual doorway is arched and the entrance tunnel or hallway is no longer standing. Behind the icehouse the path is supported by a stone wall which has an archway in it, apparently just into the ground. Such a feature lends authenticity to tales of subterranean passageways.
There is little trace of this pool except for the sluice.
Feature created: 1900 to 1999
The River Frome circles around the grounds from the north-east.