Old Royal Naval College, (also known as Bella Court, Palace of Pleasaunce, Greenwich Hospital and Royal Naval Hospital), Greater London, England
Record Id: 8842
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Enclosed by fine railings, the landscaped grounds consist of a series of formal squares and gardens, with lawns crossed by paths, avenues of trees, ornamental fountains and lamp standards; a statue of George II stands in Grand Square.
Brief history of site
The Old Royal Naval College is on the site of what had been a royal palace from 1447, known as Placentia or the Palace of Pleasaunce, a favourite haunt of monarchs until 1688, when William and Mary chose Hampton Court as their palace. At Queen Mary's wish a naval hospital (almshouse) for seamen and their dependants was built here, designed by Christopher Wren. Although incomplete, the first pensioners arrived in 1705 and by 1814 there were over 2,700 residents. Numbers declined and the Hospital closed in 1869, the buildings taken over by the Royal Naval College in 1873 for officers' training. After the Royal Navy left Greenwich in 1998, responsibility for the Old Royal Naval College passed to the Greenwich Foundation.
Address: Romney Road/King William Walk/Park Row, Greenwich, SE10 9JF
Locality: Greater London
Greater London; Greenwich
Historical County: Kent
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||177||Grid Ref:||TQ385778|
DLR: Cutty Sark for Maritime Greenwich. Rail: Maze Hill. Bus: 53, 129, 177, 180, 188, 199, 202, 286, 386. River service to Greenwich Pier
Opening contact details:
Grounds open 8am-6pm daily. Painted Hall & Chapel open 10am-5pm; Greenwich Gateway Visitors Centre open daily 10am-5pm; closed 24-26 Dec.
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Main period of development: Late 17th century