Stoneyhill House, Musselburgh, Scotland
Record Id: 8824
Stoneyhill House and walled gardens are significant remnants of a property and designed landscape which has stood since before the 1654 Blau map. Reports of fruit growing from the 17th century within the walled garden confirm its success. Though the entire landscape has been divided since 1946 and houses built inside the west section of the walled garden, the boundaries have been respected and the walls remain in the gardens of those houses outwith the wall, forming their land boundary. The infamous Colonel Charteris died whilst owning the house, and the property was eventually sold by the Wemyss & March estates in 1870.
The property had a significant ownership by the Lowe family who created a market garden to the south of the walled garden (seen on the 1946 aerial) in World War 2 whilst retaining the inner walled garden to the west as a pleasure ground and the south garden as part orchard.
The avenue of trees which was prominent on early maps leading along the service drive to Musselburgh to the north-east was removed before the Second Ordnance Survey of 1893. However the northern pastures seen in the Ainslie survey of 1806 with a pond and stream remain as a rugby ground. There are no remains of the dovecot.