Use Places & People to search over 6,600 parks and gardens in the UK and 2,100 biographies of people associated with them. Image location: Bedgebury National Pinetum

Learn about the rich heritage of parks and gardens in Topics.
Image location: Powis Castle

Follow News & Events, updated regularly with the latest information affecting historic parks and gardens. Image location: Sheffield Botanical Gardens

Visit the Schools for ideas and activities to encourage the interest of children and young people in their local parks. Image location: Trentham

Join us as a volunteer and Research & Record historic parks and gardens in your area.
Image location: Cirencester Abbey

View the Illustrated Glossary which provides definitions and accompanying images for terms and concepts associated with historic parks and gardens. Image location: Pannett Park

A property at Stoneyhill House surrounded by enclosed ground is indicated as far back as at least John Adair's 1682 Map of Midlothian. The surviving house with its high walled gardens dates from the mid- to late-18th century. Much sub-division of the designed landscape occurred during the mid-20th century with houses built in the western section of the walled garden. However the walled boundaries have been respected and remain as boundaries for the newer properties.

Further details about Stoneyhill House are available on the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historic Monuments of Scotland website: 

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/346336/details/stoneyhill+house/

http://orapweb.rcahms.gov.uk/wp/00/WP003809.pdf

REFERENCES

 

1. MAPPED SOURCES

Unless otherwise stated all maps referenced are from the online National Library of Scotland Map Collection

http://maps.nls.uk

1654  Joan Blaeu, Lothian & Linlithgow ‘Stony Hill’ on road to Edinburgh

1682 John Adair Map of Midlothian (Shown with two walled gardens)

1735 John Adair Map of Midlothian (Walled garden and trees)

Circa 1755 Roy Military Survey of Scotland (Lowlands) (shows wall)

1745 Herman Moll Lothian : contains The Shire of Linlithgow or West Lothian. The Shire of Edinburgh or Midlothian. and Haddington or East Lothian

1766 John Laurie A Plan of Edinburgh and Places Adjacent  ‘Stonyhill’ (Square plot surrounded by trees)

1773 Andrew & Mostyn Armstrong  Map of the Three Lothians  (North Centre Section)

1775 Map Roll Act of Parliament 6th June 1775 reference to holding (In private ownership)

1786 John Laurie A plan of Edinburgh and Places Adjacent

1812 James Knox Map of the Shire of Edinburgh – North East Section 

1817 Robert Kirkwood A Map of the Environs of Edinburgh

1821 John Ainslie’s Map of the Southern Part of Scotland

1821 John Thomson Edinburghshire

1824 James Hay’s New Plan of Musselburgh & Its Environs National Records of Scotland  RHP1855. Also reproduced in facsimile at about one inch to 100 yards by East Lothian District Library, 1993.

1850 William Forrester Map of the County of Edinburgh showing the turnpike and statute labour roads...etc

Ordnance Survey Town Map of Musselburgh Sheet 10 Scale 1:1056 Surveyed 1853 Garden wall extant with summer house (building to south still in  existence 1995) now outside the boundaries of Stoneyhill House & fits with Ainslie

Ordnance Survey Musselburgh Town Map Edinburgh Sheet IV.11.7 Scale 1:500 Surveyed 1893

Ordnance Survey Second Edition & Later Editions 25 inches to One mile Edinburghshire Sheet 004.II Revised 1912-13, Published 1914

 

2. PRIMARY & DOCUMENTARY SOURCES

Survey of Stonyhill near Musselburgh made for the use of the Duke of Argyll when
bargaining for this place in anno vio 1753 Earl of Wemyss and March RCAHMS 1249/1

Plan Lands at Stoney Hill John Ainslie Estate Map Earl of Wemyss and March circa 1806 Archive of the Charteris Family, Earls of Wemyss & March held at Gosford House.
Access via National Register of Archives of Scotland NRAS208/74

Plans of the Lands in East Lothian (Book of Estate & Farm Plans) circa 1807 Archive
of the Charteris Family, Earls of Wemyss & March held at Gosford House.
Access via National Register of Archives of Scotland NRAS208/155/189 (Wall shown
as at time of Ainslie survey and comparing to Duke of Argyll House and Garden
3.64 acres)

Writs of Stoneyhill by Jane Dobie circa 2000 in the possession of the current owner

Deeds of the house in the possession of current owner 2013

 

3. HISTORICAL ILLUSTRATIONS & PICTORIAL SOURCES

Aerial photograph Sortie 106G_UK_0011 Frame 5306 1946 Vertical Aerial Photograph Collection RCAHMS

Theatrum Scotiae 1718 John Sleazer Prospectus Orce maritmae Lothianae a Praedio de Stony hill  The coast of Lothian from Stony hill (This is not an image of the property but of the view from the property)

 

4. BIBLIOGRAPHY OF PUBLISHED SOURCES

The First ‘Old’ Statistical Account of Scotland: Inveresk, County of Edinburgh vol 16 1795 page 10

The Second ‘New’ Statistical Account of Scotland: 1845 pages 281-282 

Paterson History of the Regality of Musselburgh  1857 pages 186-189 Reference to fruits and vegetables grown at Stoneyhill 17th century

Dennison, E Patricia & Coleman Historical Musselburgh 1893 Russell

Langhorn, Reminiscences,  (father was founder of Loretto and  resided at Stoneyhill in 1820) 

The Scottish Burgh Survey  1996 Historic Scotland  

Hopkins, Bob East Lothian Life Magazine 2002 Issue 44 pages 5-6 

Menary, Life and Letters of Duncan Forbes of Culloden 1936 Published Maclehose (gigantic buttressed wall surrounding garden of great age with an ancient mulberry tree coeval with Shakespeare)

Principal building:

small mansion house Created 1834 to 1899

Mid/Late 18th century with later additions and alterations, small two storey mansion with high walled garden to south and west.

Designation status: Historic Environment Scotland Listed Building Grade Category B Reference 38389