Inveresk House, Musselburgh, Scotland
Record Id: 8818
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
The Inveresk House landscape today represents the remains of a larger landscape probably laid out in the late-18th century, although there has been a house on this site since the 17th century. Much of the north of the landscape has been lost to development and the balance is in divided residential ownership.
Brief history of site
Originally attached to St Michael's Church, Inveresk House dates back to the 17th century but was extended and remodelled in both the 18th and early-19th centuries, when it is likely the designed landscape was laid out. The northern portion of the estate and principal access were lost to development in 1925 which included the construction of a secondary school. Additional planting was undertaken in the early- to mid-20th century but the remaining estate was subdivided to create five dwellings in the 1980s. The construction of an additional house in the west of the garden in the 1990s resulted in a loss of a number of mature trees.
Address: Inveresk Village Road, EH21 7AR
East Lothian; Musselburgh Central
Historical County: Midlothian
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||66||Grid Ref:||NT346721|
Situated in Inveresk Village approximately 0.5 kilometres south of Musselburgh.
Form of site: garden
Context or principal building: mansion house
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 1.9