Inveresk House, Musselburgh, Scotland
Record Id: 8818
In 1597 Adam Colt of Gartsherrie, the local minister, owned land around the church and the family continued to own the property until 1890. The House was re-modelled in the 17th century and extended in the 18th century. The Family also owned Auldhame East Lothian in the 18th and 19th century and portraits are in The Georgian House, 7 Charlotte Square, Edinburgh. In the 19th century the house was rented to tenants; in 1880 they were Elizabeth and Emily Dickson.
In 1890 John & Fanny Park (seed merchant) bought the property, followed by: 1903 John Young (Brewer), 1926 William Martin Whitelaw, and 1928 Dr Andrew Gold when the house was modernized. From the trees surveyed in the grounds there is evidence of exotic planting during the ownership of the Golds. Around 1980 the Gold sons divided the property into five lots.
Inveresk House was bought by Illico Colt, a descendant of the original Colt family. As he was a farmer in Kenya and had difficulty getting his money out of the country it was held in Trust.
In 1996 John Chute bought Inveresk House.
When Oliver's Mound was built in the 1990s many of the original west garden trees were cut down. The aerial image of 1960 confirms the original wooded nature of this garden. Two mature lime trees were retained on the lawn beside the drive.