Landscape at the former CEGB Headquarters, Bristol, England
Record Id: 8729
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
This is a designed landscape associated with the former CEGB Headquarters laid out in 1975-8 to designs by Arup Associates in consultation with the landscape architect Peter Swann.
Brief history of site
In 1972 the southwest regional board of the former Central Electricity Generating Board (CEGB) decided to consolidate some 1200 staff, scattered across 14 separate offices, into a regional headquarters. Arup Associates were commissioned to design the building, with Nicholas Hare and Don Ferguson as the main job architects. They worked closely together with CEGB's own in-house designers and the landscape consultant Peter Swann. Full planning permission for the CEGB building and its landscaping was granted in June 1975. Works were completed in August 1978, and the building and its landscape were widely discussed in the architectural press at the time.
Address: The Pavilions, Bridgwater Road, Bristol, BS99 6BH
Bristol, City of
Historical County: Somerset
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||172||Grid Ref:||ST562694|
Form of site: designed urban space
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: commercial office
Site first created: 1972 to 1978
Main period of development: Late 20th century
Site Size (Hectares): 7.5