Cobham Hall, Rochester, England
Record Id: 870
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Cobham Hall is a 16th-century deer park of 150 hectares (370 acres) with 18th- and 19th-century alterations. The estate is now 60 hectares (148 acres) in size. The grounds surround the hall which now houses Cobham Hall School.
Brief history of site
The manor of Cobham was granted to William de Cobham in 1208. William Brooke made Cobham Hall his principal residence, building wings to the house in 1584 and laying out a garden. From 1660 until his death in 1672, the sixth Duke resumed the rebuilding of the house and the development of the park and gardens, the formal avenues probably being planted at this time. The fourth Earl employed Humphry Repton in 1790, and later his two sons, to remodel the grounds and the exterior of the house,
Address: Lodge Lane, Cobham, DA12 3BL
Kent; Gravesham; Cobham
Historical County: Kent
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||178||Grid Ref:||TQ684689|
The site is 1 mile east of Cobham, 4 miles west of Rochester.
Opening contact details:
Please visit the website for open dates and times.
Form of site: deer park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: school
Site first created: Before 1584
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 338