Cliveden, Maidenhead, England
Record Id: 858
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The site features an extensive and complex formal garden scheme developed through the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries. The historic grounds cover about 85 hectares in total, most of which is woodland with designed rides surrounding a formal core of about 5 hectares. Cliveden House itself is now an hotel.
Brief history of site
Cliveden House was built initially as a 'summer palace' on a virgin site on cliffs high above the River Thames for George Villiers, second Duke of Buckingham. Work began in 1666. A garden is known to have existed by 1679. The major period of garden development was between 1706 and 1737. In 1966 the National Trust took over the house and gardens and have since carried out extensive restoration.
Address: Cliveden, Taplow, Maidenhead, Buckinghamshire, SL6 0JA
Buckinghamshire; South Bucks; Taplow
Historical County: Buckinghamshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||165||Grid Ref:||SU910852|
North of Maidenhead, west of the A4094
Opening contact details:
01 494 755562 (info line)
01 628 603069
Gardens open every day from March to December, 11.00am to 4.00pm (5.00pm in summer).
Free parking. Dogs on leads in specified woodlands only. Disabled access. Refreshments. WC. Please see:
Form of site: formal garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: great house
Site Style : formal
Site first created: After 1666
Main period of development: Early 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 85