Clifton Hall, Nottingham, England
Record Id: 852
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Clifton Hall has 3.6 hectares of ornamental gardens. Features include a summerhouse designed by Lord Burlington. The site is now used for weddings and corporate functions.
Brief history of site
Sir Gervase de Clifton commissioned John Smythson to do work at Clifton in the early-1630s, apparently in anticipation of a royal visit. By this time terraced gardens already lay - or were now created - to the south of the house. Considerable changes were made to both house and gardens for Sir Robert Clifton before 1748. The gardens, in their current form, were created in the mid-18th century.
Address: Clifton Hall, Holgate, Nottingham, NG11 8NH
Nottingham; Clifton North
Historical County: Nottinghamshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||129||Grid Ref:||SK540348|
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: great house
Site first created: Before 1630
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 33