Whipsnade Tree Cathedral, Dunstable, England
Record Id: 8511
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The Tree Cathedral is made from trees, shrubs and plants and was created after the First World War in the spirit of 'faith, hope and reconciliation'.
Brief history of site
Edmund Blyth purchased Chapel Farm in Whipsnade in 1927. In 1930, he began planting trees in a field on his land. The layout was planned in the style of a medieval cathedral; created after the First World War in the spirit of 'faith, hope and reconciliation'. He continued to plant trees of different types for different areas of the ‘cathedral’ until the outbreak of the Second World War in 1939 when he returned to his regiment. The Tree Cathedral survives and is now owned by the National Trust.
Address: Whipsnade, Dunstable, Bedfordshire, LU6 2LQ
Central Bedfordshire; Dunstable Central
Historical County: Bedfordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||166||Grid Ref:||TL008181|
Opening contact details:
The site is open daily:
Form of site: plantation
Purpose of site: Commemorative
Context or principal building: commemorative
Site first created: After 1930
Main period of development: Early 20th century