War Memorial Gardens, Ilford, Greater London, England
Record Id: 8497
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The memorial garden is laid out formally with rose beds in a cruciform shape, circular island beds set in the lawn, shrubbery areas, hedging and lines of lime trees. The Children's Wing was demolished after the closure of the hospital in 1993 but the neglected Memorial Hall was preserved and has since been restored. The garden features a war memorial topped by a cross with a dedication on the plinth.
Brief history of site
Ilford War Memorial Committee was established in November 1918 to create a suitable memorial to the men of Ilford who had died in World War 1. Following a popular vote as to the form of war memorial, money was raised and a site purchased adjacent to the then Ilford Emergency Hospital for the Memorial Gardens, the erection of a memorial monument, and a new children's wing for the hospital to be entered through a Memorial Hall containing the names of the war dead. The monument with bronze statue of a soldier by N A Trent was unveiled in November 1922, the Hall and Children's Wing completed 5 years later.
Address: Eastern Avenue, Newbury Park, IG2 7RJ
Locality: Greater London
Greater London; Redbridge
Historical County: Essex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||177||Grid Ref:||TQ447882|
Tube: Newbury Park (Central). Bus: 66, 169, 296, 396
Opening contact details:
Daily 8am-dusk (check site owner for closing time); closed Christmas Day. Memorial Hall open 1st Sun each month, May-Oct, 2-4.30pm
Form of site: memorial garden
Purpose of site: memorial garden
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: 1922
Main period of development: Early 20th century
Site Size (Hectares): 0.81