Greene King and Sons Ltd Sports Ground and Pavilion, Bury St. Edmunds, England
Record Id: 8474
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
This sports ground, now in the ownership of the borough council, has a pavilion and oak memorial tablets.
Brief history of site
The two sons of Sir Walter Green, and the six sons of Edward Lake, both Directors of Greene King, all served in World War 1 and all returned. This sports ground was gifted to the town by the company in gratitude for the safe return of a number of employees, and in memory of those who did not return. The site was opened on October 12th, 1920.
Address: Pavilion Victory Sports Ground, Nowton Road, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, IP33 2NL
Locality: Bury St. Edmunds
Suffolk; St Edmundsbury; Bury St Edmunds
Historical County: Suffolk
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||155||Grid Ref:||TL864626|
Form of site: park
Purpose of site: recreation ground
Context or principal building: recreational
Site first created: 1920
Main period of development: Early 20th century