Clevedon Court, Clevedon, England
Record Id: 847
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
This site has the following component area(s):
Brief description of site
Clevedon Court has early-18th-century terraced gardens, with later extensions. There is a 13th-century crenelated wall, a medieval barn and an octagonal summerhouse (dating to around 1720). Further features include a turfed upper terrace contained by a tall buttressed retaining wall below, a bowling green and an early 19th-century Gothic gazebo or loggia.
Brief history of site
Sir John de Clevedon built Clevedon Court, the manor house of Clevedon in about 1320. He is thought to have added to and incorporated the mid-13th century tower. In 1630 there were 'two gardens, an orchard, a fayre court besides 60 acres of wood and coppice'. The terraced gardens were constructed after 1709, when the Elton family purchased the estate. There was further work on the grounds in the mid-18th and mid-19th centuries.
Address: Tickenham Road, Clevedon, BS21 6QU
North Somerset; Clevedon
Historical County: Somerset
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||172||Grid Ref:||ST423715|
The site is 1.5 miles east of Clevedon on the B3130 Bristol road.
Opening contact details:
The site is open on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Sundays between April and September.
Form of site: country estate
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: manor house
Site first created: 1709 to 1721
Main period of development: Early 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 80