Birkenhead Institute Memorial Playing Fields, Prenton, England
Record Id: 8371
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
This recreation ground has an uncertain future, outline planning permission having been granted to build on the site.
Brief history of site
Playing fields and a pavilion were opened in 1926, commemorating lost from Birkenhead Institute who lost their lives in World War 1. Poplar trees (no longer extant) and memorial gates were added in 1933. Following the closure of the school in 1995, the land went into private ownership, and outline planning permission was granted to build houses. This is currently under review.
Address: Ingleborough Road, Prenton, Merseyside, CH42 6QX
Merseyside; Wirral; Prenton
Historical County: Cheshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||108||Grid Ref:||SJ316867|
Form of site: park
Purpose of site: playing field
Context or principal building: commemorative
Site first created: 1926
Main period of development: Early 20th century