War Memorial Park, Basingstoke, Hampshire, England
Record Id: 8360
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Following the purchase of the park in 1921 by the Corporation of Basingstoke, an Edwardian bandstand was relocated to the park from elsewhere in the town. Municipal facilities were added subsequently, including: tennis courts, bowling green, football pitches, a cricket ground and a playground. The condition of the original park and garden buildings deteriorated until HLF funding became available and in 2001 parts of the original 18th-century landscape were restored. In 2014 plans were announced to open a 'Garden of Peace' within the War Memorial Park. Features of the War Memorial park include mature trees, a skate park, bandstand, sports pitches and a tree trail.
Brief history of site
Goldings House with 6 acres of gardens was purchased by William Russell in 1765. Following the Enclosure Act 1786 he obtained further 15acres where he laid out a small landscape park. The late-18th century landscape park was separated from the mansion and six acres of gardens by a ha-ha. By 1840 there was a Summer House on a knoll, an icehouse and 'plantations' of trees with woodland walks.
In 1921 Basingstoke Corporation purchased the estate from Thomas Burberry to provide a fitting memorial to those who had perished in the Great War. The War Memorial Park was designed by J A Smith FRIBA and the War Memorial (Winged Victory)
by Louis Frederick Roslyn was erected at the entrance. In 2001 funding from the HLF allowed the 18th-century landscape parkland to be restored.
Address: London Road, Basingstoke, Hampshire, RG21 4AG
Hampshire; Basingstoke and Deane
Historical County: Hampshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||186||Grid Ref:||SU641516|
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: memorial garden
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: 1921
Main period of development: Early 20th century
Site Size (Hectares): 24.5