War Memorial Gardens, Holytown, Motherwell, Scotland
Record Id: 8304
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The Memorial Gardens in Holytown, North Lanarkshire include a War Memorial to commemorate the men of Holytown district who fell in the Great War 1914-18. The memorial consists of a kilted soldier on a tapering plinth and stepped base, constructed in Killembreck granite by Glasgow firm Messer Scott & Rae sculptures and built by local building firm James Patterson and Son. The memorial has recently been restored. The planting beds were replanted with shrub species selected for year round interest and ease of maintenance.
Brief history of site
The gardens were opened at a ceremony which took place on Sunday 9th April 1933. The War Memorial and gardens were unveiled by Alexander Whitelaw Esq. from nearby Woodhall Estate. As was the case with many War Memorials at this time, the memorial was paid for by funds raised by public subscription, and the grounds on which the gardens laid out, were gifted by a local benefactor.
Address: Holytown, Motherwell, ML1 4ST
North Lanarkshire; Holytown
Historical County: Lanarkshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||64||Grid Ref:||NS772604|
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: memorial garden
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: 1933
Main period of development: Early 20th century