Gellidêg Mansion, (also known as Gelly Dêg), Llandyfaelog, Wales
Record Id: 8300
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
The site contains the ruins of a mid Victorian Italianate mansion. However this structure was built around an existing late Georgian house and its associated grounds which included a lodge, a walled garden with belvedere, a pond, stable block, flower gardens, pleasure gardens and parkland. The Victorian flower gardens associated with the mansion have not survived as such but the surrounding area has been replanted over the last fifty years with one of the best collections in the county of rhododendrons, azaleas, camellias and magnolias. The original Georgian lodge together with the stable block, pond and the walled garden with its belvedere have survived.
The site is NOT NORMALLY OPEN to the public. However, tours can be available on application by contacting Captain & Mrs E C Atkinson on 091267 267 751.
Brief history of site
In 1820 a farm on this site was purchased by Richard Thomas Dixie who built a modest two storey country house with a domestic wing. In 1849 the estate was purchased by Richard Jennings. In 1852 he commissioned the architect William Wesley Jenkins to build a larger mansion around the existing structure. It is known that the mansion was vacated by Lt Col Edward Jennings around 1946 up to which time aerial photographs show that the estate had been kept in good order. The mansion later became ruinous, though the shell remains and the tower is intact. Replanting has since taken place in the walled garden.
Address: Kidwelly, Carmarthenshire, SA17 4NA
Carmarthenshire; Llandyfaelog; St. Ishmael
Historical County: Carmarthenshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||159||Grid Ref:||SN423105|
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: country house
Plant type/environment: walled garden
Main period of development: Early 19th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 4.5