Gellidêg Mansion, (also known as Gelly Dêg), Llandyfaelog, Wales
Record Id: 8300
Gellideg house and gardens are located at an elevation of about 94mOD some 60m above the floor of the Gwendreath fach valley, being a little more than 1km south of Llandyfaelog village and about 4km north of the town of Kidwelly in the county of Carmarthenshire. The location commands extensive views over farmland and on toward Carmarthen Bay and the distant hills of the Gower peninsula.
Within the curtilage of the property are the ruins of a mid-Victorian Italianate mansion. However this structure was built around an existing late-Georgian house and its associated grounds which included a lodge, a walled garden with belvedere, a pond, stable block, flower gardens, pleasure gardens and parkland. The Victorian flower gardens associated with the mansion have not survived as such but the surrounding area has been replanted over the last fifty years with one of the best collections in the county of rhododendrons, azaleas, camellias and magnolias. The original Georgian lodge together with the stable block, pond and the walled garden with its belvedere have survived.
At the southern end of the walled garden there now stands a 1960s country house which incorporates the original belvedere. The remains of the walled garden, formerly the kitchen garden for the old house, now include lawns, rose walk, flower beds, shrubs and trees. A 1960s swimming pool in this area is now a water feature with lilies. Immediately to the east of the present house is a cottage with a large garden which also contains similar plantings to those laid down in the walled garden.
The gardens are split into three separate areas:
The Walled Garden is split into four quarters, traditional cross-paths and central dipping pond or well at the centre. Like others, this was probably a kitchen garden to begin with but became decorative gardens over time. The masterpiece at Gellideg was to place the octagonal belvedere or gazebo on the south-west corner, commanding splendid views over the valley of the Gwendraeth Fach down to Carmarthen Bay and the Gower.
The old garden around the ruined Mansion no longer survives.
The Cottage garden, adjacent the modern house, was developed by Trevor Cosby and largely contains duplicates of the best shrubs and plants in the other areas.
Restoration of the site by the present generation is an ongoing process.
mansion house Created After 1820
Ruined Italianate Mansion designed by William Wesley Jenkins built around a late Georgian house (1852).
Terrain: Hills on the east side of the Gwendraeth Fach Valley.
Underlying geology: Devonian Old Red Sandstone.