Use Places & People to search over 6,600 parks and gardens in the UK and 2,100 biographies of people associated with them. Image location: Bedgebury National Pinetum

Learn about the rich heritage of parks and gardens in Topics.
Image location: Powis Castle

Follow News & Events, updated regularly with the latest information affecting historic parks and gardens. Image location: Sheffield Botanical Gardens

Visit the Schools for ideas and activities to encourage the interest of children and young people in their local parks. Image location: Trentham

Join us as a volunteer and Research & Record historic parks and gardens in your area.
Image location: Cirencester Abbey

View the Illustrated Glossary which provides definitions and accompanying images for terms and concepts associated with historic parks and gardens. Image location: Pannett Park

This site is NOT open to public.

Loading...

Brief description of site

The site contains the ruins of a mid Victorian Italianate mansion. However this structure was built around an existing late Georgian house and its associated grounds which included a lodge, a walled garden with belvedere, a pond, stable block, flower gardens, pleasure gardens and parkland. The Victorian flower gardens associated with the mansion have not survived as such but the surrounding area has been replanted over the last fifty years with one of the best collections in the county of rhododendrons, azaleas, camellias and magnolias. The original Georgian lodge together with the stable block, pond and the walled garden with its belvedere have survived.

The site is NOT NORMALLY OPEN to the public. However, tours can be available on application by contacting Captain & Mrs E C Atkinson on 091267 267 751.

Brief history of site

In 1820 a farm on this site was purchased by Richard Thomas Dixie who built a modest two storey country house with a domestic wing. In 1849 the estate was purchased by Richard Jennings. In 1852 he commissioned the architect William Wesley Jenkins to build a larger mansion around the existing structure. It is known that the mansion was vacated by Lt Col Edward Jennings around 1946 up to which time aerial photographs show that the estate had been kept in good order. The mansion later became ruinous, though the shell remains and the tower is intact. Replanting has since taken place in the walled garden.

Location information:

Address: Kidwelly, Carmarthenshire, SA17 4NA

Locality: Llandyfaelog

Local Authorities:

Carmarthenshire; Llandyfaelog; St. Ishmael

Historical County: Carmarthenshire

OS Landranger Map Sheet Number: 159 Grid Ref: SN423105
Latitude: 51.7709 Longitude: -4.28697

Key information:

Form of site: garden

Purpose of site: ornamental garden

Context or principal building: country house

Plant type/environment: walled garden

Main period of development: Early 19th century

Survival: Part: standing remains

Site Size (Hectares): 4.5

Print preview