Claremont, Esher, England
Record Id: 827
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Claremont has 18th-century landscaped pleasure grounds and a park. Features include a lake, amphitheatre, grotto and water pavilion.
Brief history of site
In about 1709 Sir John Vanbrugh built a small villa for himself at Chargate Farm, near Esher. Vanbrugh sold the property in 1711 to his friend and patron, Thomas Pelham-Holles, Earl of Clare. The house was transformed into a country mansion and re-named Claremont. John Vanbrugh, with Charles Bridgeman, laid out the gardens from 1715. Several other influential garden designers have been involved with the layout of the gardens at Claremont, including William Kent and Lancelot Brown.
Address: Portsmouth Road, KT10 9JG
Surrey; Elmbridge; Esher
Historical County: Surrey
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||187||Grid Ref:||TQ134633|
The gardens lie east of the A307 1 mile south of Esher.
Opening contact details:
The garden is open daily (except Mondays) throughout the year. Through summer it is open 7 days a week.
Form of site: landscape garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Site Style : English landscape garden
Site first created: 1709 to 1715
Main period of development: Early 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 58