Clandon, Guildford, England
Record Id: 821
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Clandon has gardens and pleasure grounds of around 9 hectares, set within a landscaped park which originally covered some 220 hectares.
Brief history of site
The land was emparked in 1531, then again in 1642. By the early 18th century a large formal landscape had been laid out. Between 1766 and 1781 there was further work by Capability Brown, replacing the earlier formal gardens. There was also further development in the late-19th century.
Address: West Clandon, GU4 7RQ
Surrey; Guildford; West Clandon
Historical County: Surrey
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||186||Grid Ref:||TQ042512|
The site is 3 miles east of Guildford, at West Clandon on the A247. There is a railway station at Clandon 1 mile away.
Opening contact details:
The gardens are open between March and October from 11 until 5, with the exception of Mondays, Fridays and Saturdays.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: 1531 to 1781
Main period of development: Late 18th century