Althorp, (also known as Spencer House), Northampton, England
Record Id: 82
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Althorp is a 19th-century landscape park with traces of an earlier formal layout and 20th-century gardens. The park covers about 225 hectares within a 5600-hectare agricultural estate.
Brief history of site
John Spencer purchased the estate in 1508, and acquired licences to crenellate and impark. The park dates from 1512 and has since been extended. Carved stones record planting between 1597 and 1901. The park adjacent to the house was landscaped by Samuel Lapidge and Henry Holland in about 1790, and redesigned in 1860 by W.M. Teulon. The gardens were redesigned in the late-20th to early-21st centuries.
Address: The Stables, Althorp, Northampton, NN7 4HQ
Northamptonshire; Daventry; Althorp
Historical County: Northamptonshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||152||Grid Ref:||SP682651|
Seven miles west of Northampton, off the A482.
Opening contact details:
Refreshments. WCs. Parking. Disabled access. Shop. Guide dogs only. Diana, Princess of Wales exhibition.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: great house
Site Style : English landscape garden
Site first created: 1508 to 1512
Main period of development: Mid 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 225