Castle Grant, Grantown-on-Spey, Scotland
Record Id: 8191
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
The Castle is sited on an elevated position commanding extensive views of the surrounding parklands and panoramic views in several directions. The parkland (470ha/1,161 acres) lies on the west banks of the Alltan Fhithich. The parkland is crossed by several minor burns, lined with trees. The designed landscape incorporates significant areas of woodland, the majority now forestry plantations. Numerous ornamental specimens, e.g. horse chestnut, lime, cedar, fir, spruce and Wellingtonias are planted throughout the policies.
Brief history of site
Ludovick Grant (1650?-1716) styled himself laird of Grant and renamed his house Castle Grant, which he remodelled and extended. In 1720, Sir James Grant inherited the estate. He undertook building on the Castle and the garden walls, starting in 1728. In 1748, he commissioned Thomas Winter (fl.1726-53), to design the gardens. In 1753, Sir Ludovick Grant (1743-1773) employed John Adam to remodel and enlarge the late 17th century house. A formal avenue led southwards from the Castle to Milltown and a formal canal and pool were set in the grounds.
Highland; Grantown on Spey
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||36||Grid Ref:||NJ041301|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: country house
Main period of development: Early 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 397.3