Highams Park, The, (also known as Highams Park), London, England
Record Id: 8112
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
This site has the following component area(s):
Brief description of site
The Highams Park is on part of the former Highams estate, landscaped in the 1790s by Humphry Repton. Highams House is now Woodford County High School for Girls and the estate lands still exists in part, primarily as two adjacent park areas: Highams Park, owned by the Corporation of the City of London and part of Epping Forest, and The Highams Park, which was purchased by the local Council. It is on a triangle of sloping land on the eastern side of Repton's lake, which is within the Corporation land.
Brief history of site
In 1947 176 pre-fabs were erected here, removed in 1961 when this section of the park was re-established in the 'V' formed between two suburban streets.
Address: Keynsham Avenue, Woodford Green, IG8
Greater London; Waltham Forest
Historical County: Essex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||177||Grid Ref:||TQ395921|
Tube: Woodford (Central) then bus. Rail: Highams Park then bus. Bus: 20, 179, 275, W13
Opening contact details:
Opening is unrestricted.
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: public park
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 8.79