Alscot Park, Atherstone-on-Stour, England
Record Id: 81
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Alscot is a landscape park of about 100 hectares. It surrounds a large gothic house dating from 1752, with 19th and 20th-century garden development. There are also formal gardens of about 2 hectares, including a lavender garden, orangery, walled vegetable garden and herb beds.
Brief history of site
There has been a manor house on the site since the 12th century. The park was developed in the 15th century. The house was re-modelled in the early-17th and early-18th century. In 1747 the estate was sold to the West family, in whose ownership it remains. The house was rebuilt in a distinctive Rococo Gothic style in two stages, the first, in 1750-2, coinciding with improvements to the grounds, probably with the advice of Sanderson Miller. Further changes were made in the mid-19th century.
Address: Atherstone-on-Stour, near Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37 8BL
Warwickshire; Stratford-on-Avon; Shipston on Stour
Historical County: Warwickshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||151||Grid Ref:||SP209504|
Opening contact details:
Open to groups by special arrangement ONLY.
Form of site: country estate
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: great house
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 100