Chiswick House, Hounslow, England
Record Id: 798
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
This site has the following component area(s):
Brief description of site
Chiswick features an early to mid-18th-century villa and gardens, initially laid out partly in the geometrical style, that is among the earliest examples of English landscape gardening. The site has been developed over the years and includes the early 19th-century Italian garden associated with the conservatory and many other features including a cascade, statuary and an Ionic temple.
Brief history of site
Chiswick House and its surrounding grounds were formed in the mid-17th century by Sir Edward Seymore. The 3rd Earl of Burlington inherited formal 17th-century gardens including a knot garden. To design the current house and gardens, on which he started from at least 1717, he worked with artist William Kent. Additions were made in 1784 and 1814. The site has been a public park since 1929.
Address: Chiswick House, Burlington Lane, London, W4 2RP
Greater London; Hounslow
Historical County: Middlesex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||176||Grid Ref:||TQ209776|
Signposted from A4/A316 junction. Tube: Turnham Green (Disrict, Piccadilly) then bus. Rail: Chiswick then bus. Bus: 190, 415
Opening contact details:
The site is open from 10 am, Sundays to Wednesdays, between May and October.
Parking. WCs. Most is accessible for the disabled. Dogs on leads (restricted areas only). Refreshments/shop when house is open.
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: public park
Context or principal building: great house
Site first created: 1634 to 1667
Main period of development: Early 18th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 26.33