Oakwood Park, Enfield, (also known as Enfield Chase), London, England
Record Id: 7965
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Amenities included a square pond for model yachts, now being converted into a wildlife area. A poplar avenue commemorates the coronation of George VI and from 1945 an avenue of scarlet oaks was gradually planted by successive mayors of Edmonton.
Brief history of site
The area was once part of Enfield Chase, a deer park established in the 12th century, owned by royalty from 1421. In 1777 the Chase was enclosed and the land divided up, with allocation made to neighbouring parishes for the loss of common rights, and much of it was farmed. The land that is now Oakwood Park was then part of two estates. In 1870 Samuel Sugden purchased the estate to the south and renovated the farmhouse, renaming it Oak Lodge and adding a walled garden, orchard and ice well. In 1927 Southgate UDC purchased land for a public park and Oakwood Park opened in 1929, named after Oak Lodge, which had been demolished.
Address: Saxon Way/Oakwood Park Road/Prince George Avenue/Sheringham Avenue, Southgate, N14 6QB
Greater London; Enfield
Historical County: Middlesex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||176/177||Grid Ref:||TQ302953|
Tube: Oakwood, Southgate (Piccadilly). Bus: 307, 377, 121, 517
Opening contact details:
The park is open from 8am Mon-Sat / 8.30am Sundays to dusk.
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: public park
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: 1927 to 1929
Main period of development: Early 20th century
Site Size (Hectares): 25.85