Murray Park, (also known as Whitton Park Estate), London, England
Record Id: 7947
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Features of Murray Park include mature trees and playground facilities.
Brief history of site
Originally part of Whitton Park estate that at one time comprised 200 acres, Murray Park is named after Colonel Gostling Murray, whose family owned the estate from 1766-1892. In 1722 the estate was acquired by the 3rd Duke of Argyll whose garden featured woodlands, fishponds, an aviary, walled garden and 9-acre nursery where he cultivated trees and shrubs; some fine trees remain in the park from his time, including a Cedar. On Argyll's death the estate went to his mistress, Mrs Williams; their son sold most of the estate in 1765 but in 1796/7 it was re-united by George Gostling, who invited Humphry Repton to advise on its design. The estate was eventually sold by auction in 1894, much of it then developed for housing despite efforts to preserve it. In 1913 moves to save the remaining open spaces succeeded, and Twickenham UDC bought the former site of Mrs Williams' house and gardens. Murray Park was formally opened on 1 May 1914.
Address: Kneller Road, Twickenham, TW2 7ED
Greater London; Richmond upon Thames
Historical County: Surrey
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||176||Grid Ref:||TQ143744|
Rail: Hounslow/Whitton then bus. Bus: 281, H22
Opening contact details:
The park is open Mon - Sat: 7.30am - dusk/Sun & Bank Hols: 9am - dusk.
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: public park
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: 1726 to 1914
Main period of development: Early 20th century
Site Size (Hectares): 3.49