Chillington, Wolverhampton, England
Record Id: 792
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Chillington has the remains of an early formal layout, formal gardens, pleasure grounds and landscape park. The site covers approximately 344 hectares, and dates from around 1720 and earlier. Between 1761 and 1780, Capability Brown and James Paine were involved, and in 1911 there was work by Inigo Triggs.
Brief history of site
The first part of the present house was built in 1724, and a formal landscape was laid out around it. There were substantial alterations in 1786. The park was laid out in the 1760s.
Address: Codsall Wood , WV8 1RE
Staffordshire; South Staffordshire; Brewood and Coven
Historical County: Staffordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||127||Grid Ref:||SJ864068|
Opening contact details:
The site is open for the summer season, some bank holidays and for pre-booked parties.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: Before 1724
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 344