Chilham Castle, Canterbury, England
Record Id: 790
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Chilham Castle was a medieval deer park of 130 hectares extensively landscaped in the 18th and 19th centuries to include formal and ornamental gardens around the castle.
Brief history of site
A Norman castle was established at Chilham in the 11th century. The present, adjacent house was built in the early-17th century and John Tradescant the Elder laid out the gardens.
Address: Chilham, CT4 8DB
Kent; Ashford; Chilham
Historical County: Kent
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||189||Grid Ref:||TR067535|
The site is just west of the village of Chilham, 9 miles west of Canterbury and 8 miles east of Ford.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: castle
Site first created: 1066 to 1099
Main period of development: Medieval
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 130