Hylands Park, Havering, London, England
Record Id: 7856
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
An oval path, cricket and football pitches were laid on the former trotting track and a rose garden was planted in an area previously occupied by a static water tank. The stone gate piers with wrought iron gates at the Osborne Road entrance were from Grey Towers, the 19th-century castellated mansion built by Colonel Holmes of Langtons.
Brief history of site
On the site of a late-19th-centruy house and estate, Hylands was initially developed in the 1920s as a trotting and racing track. The first race meeting was held in 1925 and the course apparently a great attraction on race days, and also used for prestigious athletics meetings. It eventually closed down and was bought by Hornchurch UDC and converted into Hylands Park in the late 1920s, one of the first public parks to be provided in the district.
Address: Hyland Way/Globe Road/Osborne Road, Hornchurch, RM11 1BS
Greater London; Havering
Historical County: Essex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||177||Grid Ref:||TQ526881|
Tube: Hornchurch (District). Rail: Romford. Bus: 193, 294
Opening contact details:
The park is open daily until dusk.
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: public park
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Main period of development: Early 20th century
Site Size (Hectares): 4.6
Owner: LB Havering
External web site link: http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=HVG027
Organisations associated with this site
Contributor or Recorder London Parks and Gardens Trust
There are no images associated with this site