Highams Park Epping Forest, (also known as Highams), London, England
Record Id: 7842
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Part/component area of: Highams Park, The
Brief description of site
Highams Park in Epping Forest is the surviving portion of about 55 acres of the landscape park of Highams laid out in the 1790s by Humphry Repton for the mansion at Highams, now Woodford County High School for Girls.
Brief history of site
Repton's landscaping included a lake to the west in an area of forest known as The Sale, created with permission of the forest authorities to provide water for the deer in the woods and for recreation, and formed by a dammed section of the River Ching. In 1890 the lower part of Highams Park encompassing the River Ching and its boating lake was purchased by the Corporation of London, added to Epping Forest and opened to the public in 1891.
Address: The Charter Road, Woodford Green, IG8
Greater London; Waltham Forest
Historical County: Essex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||177||Grid Ref:||TQ392919|
Tube: Woodford (Central). Rail: Highams Park then bus. Bus: 275
Opening contact details:
Opening is unrestricted.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: public park
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: After 1794
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 22.28