Memorial Garden, Nash Mills, Hemel Hempstead, England
Record Id: 7832
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The memorial comprises an inscribed metal plaque set in a carved stone surround which has a coat of arms within a wreath. The inscription reads 'To the eternal honour and undying memory of the gallant men of the firm of John Dickinson and Co. who gave their lives for their country in the Great War 1914-1918'. A further inscription reads `To the glory of Nash Mills Men who gave their lives in the World War 1939-1945'. The 213 names are arranged beneath according to the site where each worked. It is set in a small garden surrounded by railings, within a grassed area. There is planting around the base of the plaque and a small pond in front of it, set around with rocks. Currently the pond has been filled in and topped with gravel but there are plans to replant the garden and re-instate the pool.
Brief history of site
The memorial and garden were set up shortly after the end of World War 1 to commemorate the employees of Dickinsons Mills across the country who had lost their lives. The garden fell into dereliction and has been restored as part of the redevelopment of the site. Its future is uncertain.
Address: Adjacent to Lower Lane, Nash Mills, Hertfordshire, HP3 8RS
Locality: Hemel Hempstead
Hertfordshire; Dacorum; Nash Mills
Historical County: Hertfordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||182||Grid Ref:||TL072045|
Next to Lower Lane, Nash Mills close to turn for Bunkers Lane.
Form of site: memorial garden
Purpose of site: memorial garden
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: After 1918
Main period of development: Early 20th century