Friary Park, London, England
Record Id: 7799
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
At the park's highest point is a large bronze statue of The Peacemaker, donated by Sidney Simmons JP and dedicated to Edward VII, who had died just before the new park was due to be officially opened. The park was laid out with bowling green and pavilion, tennis courts, putting green and playground, with more formal gardens around the house, now a café.
Brief history of site
Friary Park is on land formerly around The Friary/Friern House, built in the 19th century. The site was acquired in 1909 and opened as a public park in 1910.
Address: Friern Barnet Lane/Torrington Park/Friary Road, Friern Barnet, N12 9PD
Greater London; Barnet
Historical County: Middlesex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||176||Grid Ref:||TQ272927|
Tube: Totteridge & Whetstone (Northern) then bus. Bus: 134, 234, 383, 634
Opening contact details:
Opening is unrestricted.
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: public park
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: 1909 to 1910
Main period of development: Early 20th century