Forster Memorial Park, London, England
Record Id: 7795
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The central area of grassland, now predominantly used as playing fields, is surrounded by ancient woodland and it could be a landscape of some antiquity.
Brief history of site
The land for the park was given to the people of Lewisham in 1919 by H W Forster, later Lord Forster, first MP for the Borough of Bromley and Governor-General of Australia from 1920-25. The Forsters had lived at Southend Hall since the early-19th century and had a large estate in what was then a rural area. Mr Forster donated the land in memory of his 2 sons, killed in World War 1, and Forster Memorial Park was opened in 1922 by his daughter. The park was expanded in 1937 when land to the north was purchased from the Forster Estate Company.
Address: Whitefoot Lane, Southend, SE6
Greater London; Lewisham
Historical County: Kent
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||177||Grid Ref:||TQ387722|
Rail: Bellingham. Bus: 138
Opening contact details:
The park is open from 8am - sunset.
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: public park
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: 1919 to 1922
Main period of development: Early 20th century
Site Size (Hectares): 17