Chase Green and Cenotaph Gardens, (also known as Enfield Chase), London, England
Record Id: 7711
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
This site has the following component area(s):
Brief description of site
There is a fragment of oak woodland to the west and the gardens at the south end are part of the late-19th/early-20th century landscaping of the east part of Enfield Town. At the south end is the Cenotaph Garden with a war memorial.
Brief history of site
Chase Green is former woodland that became part of the hunting park of Enfield Chase in 1136 but to which local people retained common rights. When the Chase was enclosed in 1779 a portion was allotted to Enfield villagers as compensation for loss of rights, although this was enclosed in 1803 except for 5 hectares that were later transferred to Enfield UDC in 1898. As such Chase Green constitutes the first public open space in Enfield.
Address: Chase Side/Chase Green Avenue/Church Street, Enfield Town, EN2 6SD
Greater London; Enfield
Historical County: Middlesex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||176/177||Grid Ref:||TQ323969|
Rail: Enfield Chase/Enfield Town. Bus: 121, 191, 192, 231, 307, 313, 317, 329, W9 [310, 310A, 311, 517, 610, W10]
Opening contact details:
Opening is unrestricted.
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: public park
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: After 1803
Main period of development: Early 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 3.44