Chatsworth, Bakewell, Derbyshire, England
Record Id: 770
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
This site has the following component area(s):
Brief description of site
Chatsworth has a landscape park, woodland, pleasure grounds and water features surrounding a large hall. The 18th-century park, which occupies about 405 hectares, replaced an earlier formal design but elements of this layout have survived. New areas added in the 20th century include the Sensory Garden and Kitchen Garden.
Brief history of site
The estate was bought in 1549 from the Leche family by Sir William Cavendish. Following the accession of the 4th Earl in 1684, formal gardens were laid out from 1688 to 1703 by George London and Henry Wise. These were largely remodelled by Lancelot Brown, who created a landscape park during the 1760s. Joseph Paxton was head gardener during the 19th century and built more than 20 glasshouses.
Address: Chatsworth, Bakewell, Derbyshire, DE45 1PP
Locality: Bakewell, Derbyshire
Derbyshire; Derbyshire Dales; Chatsworth
Historical County: Derbyshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||119||Grid Ref:||SK 260 701|
Opening contact details:
The site is open daily with the exception of the Christmas break. Please see:
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: great house
Site first created: Before 1684
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 405