Charlecote Park, Stratford-on-Avon, England
Record Id: 762
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Charlecote Park originated in the medieval period as a deer park. The present house was begun in 1551, and formal gardens were added in the 17th century. The park was landscaped in 1760 by Lancelot Brown. There were further developments in the 19th and mid-20th centuries. The present site occupies about 105 hectares.
Brief history of site
Charlescote Park House was begun in 1551 on a medieval site. The house was restored and enlarged in about 1829 by Thomas Willement and, between 1847 and 1867, by John Gibson. The gatehouse dates to about 1558. The stables and brewhouse are 17th century. The mid-19th century Orangery is by Gibson, as are the gates and lodge, which dates to 1865.
Address: Charlecote Park, Warwick, Warwickshire, CV35 9ER
Warwickshire; Stratford-on-Avon; Charlecote
Historical County: Warwickshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||151||Grid Ref:||SP263 564|
5 miles east of Stratford-on-Avon on the north side of the B4086.
Opening contact details:
The site is open from May to October, 10.30am to 6pm, Mon/Tue/Fri/Sat/Sun.
November to December, 11am to 4pm, Saturday and Sunday.
Shop. Parking. Refreshments. WCs. Disabled access.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: great house
Site Style : English landscape garden
Site first created: Before 1551
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 105